Music and Family

 What's up y'all, we are back this week with an interview! This week's topic is music relations in families and how preferences have changed over time. For my interview, I chose my mom! While I know this seems basic and you may ask, "Grace, why didn't you try a little harder?" Well hear me out, my mom and I have very similar tastes in music while simultaneously having very different tastes in music. 

Growing up, I remember listening to Britney Spears, Coldplay, Maroon 5, and Justin Bieber with my mom in the car. Asking her about her music preferences was very entertaining to me because she listens to my music and I listen to hers, but her listening background was what really fascinated me. 

First, I asked her what kind of music she listened to as a child, then how that changed into her teen years and then young-adulthood. She talked briefly about growing up with very young, somewhat hippie parents in 1980s Southern California, so you can expect her to enjoy a little ABBA and Bob Dylan. But she talked about how she listened to George Strait and other country artists when she was alone or with her friends. As she grew up, she ventured more into country music with Conway Twitty and Garth Brooks as an adult. Today, she still frequently listens to these artists, and has even seen George Strait and Garth Brooks in concert more than once. When I asked her about what she listens to today and she discovered this kind of music, she told me that she loves listening to satellite radio when she drives. Her favorite channels are The Pulse (featuring modern pop music) and The Highway (modern country music). 

After discussing her musical preferences to listen everyday, we talked about my mom's musical background and how she got into music. Both of my grandparents, her parents, are very musical individuals, which meant not participating was not an option. She played some piano but really fell in love with choir and vocal ensembles. She did not sing in many small groups or bands, but she sang with her school choir and with her friends for fun. 

As my mom and do on the phone, we got somewhat sidetracked in our discussion and talked about the music she listened to when she first had me has a baby and how that became the music she put my sister's to sleep with as well. She and my dad are big fans of Pink Martini, which if you don't know them I will give a quick summary:

Pink Martini is boring dinner-party music and gives "mildew-smelling restaurant napkins" vibes. Here is a popular song of theirs:


Not sure why my parents thought this was good music to put their children to sleep to, must have been my dad's idea. 

Anyway, I could go on and on about the conversation I had with my mom, but this isn't a Big Blog and I'm sure y'all have other things to do. See ya next time! 

Comments

  1. hey grace i liked your blog because it well was explained.i think your mom had great taste in music and seems like you had a very cool mom. good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also come from a very musical family. I remember when I was younger my mom would play gospel and Southern Gospel music. As I grew up, I began venturing to other similar types of music that your mom listened to. Great work!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how detailed you were helps you learn so much more my mom has similar taste in music as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I absolutely love this blog! I just think that is so cool that you grew up listening to Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, and Maroon 5 with your mom. I grew up listening to those artist, but not with my mom, so I think that is cool. Also I love that she listened to country music growing up and still likes it today. Garth Brooks is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it interesting that your mom listened to country music. Not many people do, and for some reason I thought from her being from the West coast she would listen to something else. My coach is from the Canada and the west coast, and country isn't her go to. I guess that is where I got my assumption from. However, I think that is really cool that she liked country, and that choice of music to put you and your sister to sleep. My mom would always play Beethoven to put me and my sister down. Which is something I found out through this assignment as well. Thank you for sharing, and your conversation with your mom sounds a lot like me and my mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Blog II: The Final One :')

Gender in Music

Beyond the Classroom: Asia and the Middle East