First Blog Post!

 Hey everybody! My name is Grace Baum and I am a freshman student athlete here at Converse! I was born into a pretty musical family and have always been involved in music. I tried piano, guitar, etc, but I really stuck with voice training and choir in middle/high school. I was a bit of a theater kid, but I enjoyed choir and select ensembles much more. I participated in many vocal groups throughout high school and did some training with professional voice coaches (which unfortunately I had to drop in college, I miss it a lot!). I love being in the science field in college, but I can't wait to get back into music even if it's only for a semester!

1. Something I am into right now:

I have been super into acoustic songs and (more on the less-country side) country music. I find this kind of music SUPER easy to study to, sing along to in the car, and workout with. I have always had a bit of an obsession with Kacey Musgraves, but I have definitely been listening to her kind of music a lot lately. Her Star-crossed album that came out in September of 2021 is my go-to, and I am convinced she wrote it for me lol. I also love Gregory Alan Isakov right now, his music is so soothing! My favorite song of his is "San Luis" which I will include a link to! 

2. Something meaningful to me:

I am on the equestrian team (I know, I hate admitting it too), but I also have my own horse named Bamboleo. I have had him for about 6 years now and he helps me get through the day sometimes. He came from Argentina with a lot scars and issues that meant no one wanted to deal with his quirks, but here I we are and he is great now! He did not come to me with the name Bamboleo, but I gave it to him in honor of my trainer (he's Colombian) at the time whose favorite song was "Bamboleo" by the Gipsy Kings! The Gipsy Kings are a Latin salsa/flamenco/pop group with many hits in the late 1980s and 90s. The song is about falling in love and being "wobbly," the translation for "Bamboleo," when you think about that person. It's a very fun song to listen to and has a deep emotional meaning for me! Here is the song!


3. One area of music that I just can't seem to understand is jazz. I recognize that jazz music takes a lot of talent and it is impressive to me, I just don't connect with the vibe of jazz. My sister is a jazz player and is very talented but when she practices it drives me crazy! Here is a very popular song by Louis Armstrong called "La Vie en Rose," which I think is a beautiful song, jazz is just stressful to me.


Comments

  1. I thought the story about your horse was super cool, especially how it got its name. I was in choir and theater in middle school too. I too am in the science field here at converse, hope you enjoy it here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Blog II: The Final One :')

Gender in Music

Beyond the Classroom: Asia and the Middle East